30 mins to prepare // 1 hour and 30 mins to cook // Serves 4
- 4 Pink Lady® apples
- 250g Butter
- 160mls Apple juice
- 50g Demarara sugar
- 150mls Muscat wine
- 150g Black or red grapes
- 125g Fresh rasberries
- 100g Ground almonds
- 150g Icing sugar
- 80g Plain flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 7 Egg whites
- 100g Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of honey
- Madeleines: Pre-heat oven to 180C. Butter 24 madeleine moulds. Melt the honey with the butter and allow to cool.
- Add the ground almonds icing sugar, flour and baking powder to a large bowl and mix well. Add the egg whites to the dry mixture and then pour in the honey and butter mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared moulds and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Turn them out of the moulds to cool before serving.
- Apples: pre-heat oven to 200C. Cut the apples in half across the middle, then carefully core them. Slice the halves into thinner slices.
- Melt the butter and then arrange the apples in a ring, in a large baking tray; sprinkle the spiced sugar between each layer as well as the melted butter.
- Remove the rings and pour the apple juice over the apple stacks.
- Cook for 1 hour until the apples are soft and caramelised. (You can cook these in a slow oven, 150C, for up to 3 hours too.)
- As soon as the apples are cooked, take them out and deglaze the pan on top of the hob with the wine – add the grapes and cook until the sauce has thickened and is caramelised.
- To serve: place one apple stack in the middle of each serving plate and then pour the wine and caramel sauce over and around the apples.
- Arrange the fresh raspberries around the edge and serve with honey madeleines and ice cream.