A blend of spices to complement Pink Lady®’s sweet flavour.
15 mins to prepare // 35 mins to cook // Serves 6
• 2kg Pink Lady® apples
• Juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons
• 125g unsalted butter, slightly softened
• 100g caster sugar
• 20 cloves, crushed
• 1 nutmeg, finely grated
• 200g puff pastry
1. Smear butter over base and sides of a cold pan and sprinkle with sugar. Give the pan a shake to even it out, then sprinkle over cloves and nutmeg.
2. Roll out puff pastry in to a disc, about 2cm wider than the rim of the pan and leave to rest in the fridge on greaseproof paper.
3. In a bowl, roll Pink Lady® apple halves in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water. Shake off any excess juice and arrange pieces in the pan, standing on their sides, in concentric circles, embedding them into the mix. Pack the apples in tightly and put the pan on a fierce heat.
4. Move the pan around on the flame until a deep, rich caramel colour has developed evenly. This process can take 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the pan and heat.
5. Leave pan to cool, and drop the disc of pastry on to the apples, allowing the edge to hang over the sides of the pan. Place the pan in a pre-heated oven (220°C) and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is nicely risen. Remove from oven and rest for a minute. Turn out onto an inverted plate to find a perfect golden circle of apples. Serve warm, with a bit of double cream or vanilla ice cream.