Packed with bran and chunks of Pink Lady®, it’s like apple crumble in cake-form.
20 mins to prepare // 20 mins to cook // Serves 12
• 1 Pink Lady® apple, cored
• 200g self raising flour, sieved
• 50g oat bran
• 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
• 175g caster sugar
• 1 orange, zest and juice
• 3 medium eggs
• 100ml sunflower oil
• 75ml buttermilk
• 25g butter
• 50g plain flour
• 1 tbsp caster sugar (for topping)
• 25g rolled porridge oats
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
2. Coarsely grate half the Pink Lady® apple and put into large bowl. Dice the remaining apple and add flour, oat bran, baking powder, sugar and orange zest. Lightly beat together the orange juice, eggs, oil and buttermilk in a jug until combined. Pour egg mixture into the flour and stir with spatula until just combined. Divide equally between paper cases.
3. For crumble, rub together flour, oats, sugar and butter in a bowl until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the cakes and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden and risen. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.